Re: newsgroup rather than mailing list - solution

On Mon, 1 Aug 1994, Klaus Birken wrote:

> wouldn't it be reasonable to create a new network newsgroup
> concerning lojban? (or is there such a forum already?)
>
> as the group of lojbanists gets bigger and bigger,
> the discussions in the mailing list seem to flood
> private mailboxes (at least my own one).

Others will probably weigh in with why a mailing list is preferable, but
here is a solution to your problem: there is a program called procmail
that intercepts incoming messages from mailing list and puts them in
separate folders.

As some people may not have time to read the docs to the program, here is
a quick set-up which should take you only 5 or 10 minutes.

ftp to math.sunysb.edu, cd to /pub/scott and get the file
procmail-2.91.tar.Z in binary mode. Unpack this file and put the program
"procmail" somewhere in your home directory such as directory bin.

Change your .forward file to say "| your_home_directory/bin/procmail" (change
the path to wherever you put it. It should be the full path).

Finally, put the .procmailrc file from the tar file in your home
directory, and add these lines at the end:

:
^From.*LOJBAN@CUVMB.BITNET
lojban

: