Re: Lojbanizing umlaut

John Cowan:
> > 3) Use diphthongs to trnascribe these, possibly "ui" for u: and "oi" for o:
>
> Gag.  Goethe as Geute [goit@]?  Unspeakable.

What about /iu/ for [y] or [Y] and (not so good) /eu/ for mid front
roundeds?

> as Nick once said anent
> "rozgu", "deserves to die in the arse".

Why? Why does a gismu for roses deserve to die in the arse? Nick may
be hyperbolical, but he has usually struck me as sane.

> on sci.lang who insist that English /b/ = Chinese /b/, despite the fact that
> the former is usually voiced and the latter usually isn't.

I know of an experiment that showed that English /b/ is often (though
not necessarily usually) voiced, and that French speakers heard
English /b/s as French /p/s.

---
And                      ko jbobaupeho