Re: Names

>Date:         Thu, 31 Aug 1995 22:35:05 +0100
>From:         ucleaar <ucleaar@UCL.AC.UK>
>Subject:      Re: Names

X>> But there is a way to make a real predicate out of a name,
X>> using {zei}:
X>>         mi cu zei xorxes
A>
A> I hope this works - I agree {me} & {du} are no good. Can one
A> say {lo cu zei xorxes} or {lo zei xorxes}? If so, then neat
A> idea!

  Both forms are accepted by the parser. The meanings are quite
  different, however, as <zei> absorbs the preceding word which
  means that <lo zei xorxes> isn't a descriptor at all but a
  brivla! The components glued together with <zei> can be any
  words what so ever and cannot have a syntactical meaning as
  the parser doesn't see the components.

  I don't especially like using <cu> as the first component because
  it is all too easy to write bridi which don't parse as expected.

  There is one cmavo, namely <y>, which carries no syntactical meaning
  and very little semantical meaning. Concatenating it with <zei>
  would give

           mi yzei veion
           lo yzei veion

  The BAI <me'e> would give

           mi me'ezei veion
           lo me'ezei veion

  which is similar to the sumti tcita <me'e zo veion>.

  Another possibility would be to put the name first, e.g.

           mi veion zeime'e
           lo veion zeime'e

  A two-part name using <zei> as glue requires no additives!

           mi veion zei vilvan
           lo veion zei vilvan

  NB. <zei> works with simple words only so no quoted stuff
      can be used.

  co'o mi'e veion

.i mi du la'o sy. Veijo Vilva sy.