Re: lohe, lehe & ka

la .and. cusku di'e

> > > Say there's a pile of papers on my left and a pile of papers on my
> > > right. I can't differentiate between each individual sheet of paper,
> > > but I can differentiate between the two piles. This is what I
> > > meant by distinguishing between masses. For you, we would have
> > > "re pisuho loi papri".

la xorxes. cusku di'e

> > No, I never said that. "repisu'o" is a single number, two point something.
> > You can't easily quantify over fractions of the total mass.

la .and. cusku di'e

> Am I commiting some logical fallacy in assuming we can quantify over
> fractions? I don't see why. Or do you mean it's difficult to do it
> in Lojban?

It's not difficult per se, but needs more machinery than you provide.
Consecutive number-strings coalesce in Lojban, so "re pisu'o" is, as Jorge
says, "repisu'o", which is not immediately interpretable; it probably means
"a number greater than 2, but less than 3", but might also signify "2, which
in this context represents a part of the whole quantity".

As I said in an earlier posting, "re lo pisu'o loi papri" gets two portions
of the paper-blob.

--
John Cowan		sharing account <lojbab@access.digex.net> for now
		e'osai ko sarji la lojban.