Re: current cmene project

Lojbab:
> UC> > Since I don;t want to tie up all fu'ivla space with namess-as-they-are,
> UC> > giving rpeference to thoise the existing skewed set of Lojbanists think
> UC> > important, this would be unwise as a general policy.
> UC>
> UC> Fuhivla space is enormous. What else would you want to call "tcadrlondonu"
> UC> but London (England)? London Ontario? - Make that "tcadrlondono".
> Yeah.  And what do you do when you find that there are more than 5 such
> places with that name in the world.

You use some ingenuity. Anyway, the type 3 fuhivla for London (the one
I'm in) doesn't have to be tcadrlondonu, it cd equally well be
tcadrlondiniumu, or tcadrlondonlondonu, or, less mnemonically,
tcadrdadadadadada. (OK, this last goes against guidelines for making
fuhivla, but in principle there's no reason why it shdn't denote
London.)

> So how do you come up with 30-odd variations on a name to get unique
> fu'ivla?  And why bother, when you can arbitraily add a conventional place
> to each one that is a "location", or make some other adjustment.

Because your version of the meaning of 'tcadrlondonu' implies that
'city named "london"' is a significant & worthwhile category. I
don't think it is. (And the definition wd be fraught with problems
- called 'London' by who?, 'London' defined graphologically, or
phonologically, or what?)

> I have no doubt that many cities, probably including London, will have usage
> eventually to warrant choosing a fu'ivla.  I would rather let usage dictate
 it, even if you and I feel that it is inevitable.  At this point of course, we
> have people that do not yet accept the cultural gismu, and Ivan D. thinks that
> all place names should be left in la'o text. London England text. delimited
> quotes form, which is a type 1 fu'ivla.

I agree with Ivan. Cmevla, I feel, shd be like nicknames, used for
convenience, unofficially.

> I dfon;t want to make technical decisions regarding names and fu'ivla
> for this first dictionary - just give some useful examples that will a)
> defuse the cultural gismu question by proving that we can handle non-cultural-
> gismu cultures as needed and b) shoe people how to make names and fu'ivla
> if they need to.

I accept this - I've just been trying to point out how misguided you
are (zoho - honest!).

-----
coho, mihe le prenr,androsta

(not: 'lo prenr,androsta')