Re: ciska bai tu'a zo bai

la xorxes. cusku di'e

> >         le bloti .uudai klama le xasloi
> >         The boat [Pity!] [empathy] goes-to the ocean:floor
> >         The boat, poor thing, sank.
>
> (Missing a cu there) Is the boat feeling pity?

Right you are, on both counts.  This one works better without the "dai",
actually; the speaker feels pity toward the boat.

> How about:
>
>         le jatna cu catlu le nu le bloti .uudai cu klama le xasloi
>         The captain looks how the boat, poor thing, sinks.
>
> The empathy is of course with the captain, not with the boat. The boat is
> what inspires the pity, not who feels it. Should uu be stuck to the object
> of pity or to the one who feels pity, in the case of empathy?

Presumably still to the object of pity.  Better yet, use a "sei".

> I don't think uu is an easy emotion to attribute to inanimate objects.
> ui might be easier:
>
>         le bloti cu klama uidai
>         The boat goes, happy!

Better, but still not quite on.  We'll {ga'icu'i} get it yet.

--
John Cowan		sharing account <lojbab@access.digex.net> for now
		e'osai ko sarji la lojban.