Re: ta'e/na'o

la lojbab. cusku di'e

> na'o is intended to be objective, covering most of the interval, but as
> John said, "most" being determined by context.

I think that the term "most" is dangerous, and I therefore merely refer
to the "typical part" of the interval; i.e. context determines.

> ta'e is intended to be a subjective evaluation, as John said, selected with
> reference to the observed behavior (I am not sure this would necessarily be
> an agent's behavior - a patient could also typically experience something
> under some conditions).  ta'e might also be seen as correlating to the
> high probability that the event would occur during the interval, whereas na'o
> is talking more about how much of the interval is associated with the event.

I don't think so:  we have no tense for "probably".  Things asserted to
{ta'e} occur, occur just as much as anything else; we simply add the side
comment that the occurrence reflects the habitual behavior of some person
or animal.

> If these seem contradictory or incompatible, we need to find the notes (not
> easy these days) or check with pc.  There may be some clarification in the
> discussion of TAhE in very old cmavo lists, but I may be being optimistic.

There's nothing useful in the 10/88 list, except for the note that "ta'e" is
tied to "tcaci", whereas "na'o" is tied to "cnano".  These are mnemonic hints,
not precise definitions as in the case of BAI cmavo.

--
John Cowan		sharing account <lojbab@access.digex.net> for now
		e'osai ko sarji la lojban.