WWW is almost there

I have about finished the initial phase. All of the essential
stuff is there and even some not so essential. Only some slight
polishing remains to be done.

The next step is to split the longer files into shorter segments,
I think 20-30kb is about the largest sensible maximum. I'll also
do some rearrangement within the material now that I have got it
all within one space.

I tested off-line reading on a medium speed PC using DOSLYNX and
was rather disappointed. It's too damn slow. It seems to do many
unnecessary things, writing the accessed files to the disk and
reformatting the text over and over again. For reference use we
need something else. Probably the most sensible thing is to
preformat the files for a simple hypertext reader. So we would
have two programs: a preformatter which would read the HTML
files and spit out format X files, and a simple reader which
wouldn't have to worry about formatting and net access buffering.
There are PD hypertext readers which could be utilized, so we
would need only a preformatter - that is, if we can live with
visible tags and but a single tag per line. I'll do some
searching and thinking, a reasonable speed hypertext reference
library is too valuable a goal to give up.

  Veijo