Re: bye, various comments

la djek. benetos. cusku di'e:
> The main reason I'm writting is to ask to be taken off the mailing list.

Done.  Your address will be saved until your return.

> A few weeks ago someone here (I forgot who; sorry) mentioned table legs
> (jubme tuple, but not in a tanru).  Is this legal or malglico? (malgli?)
> I suspect (without evidence) that many cultures use the term, but it seems
> that it fails a more important "similar function" test: the main purpose
> of legs is locomotion, table "legs" perform poorly here.  What is a leg?
> And what else to call them?  (I'm not even going to get into clock faces,
> needle eyes, nose cones, and male and female electrical connectors.)

I believe all of these are legitimate tanru, because the term "leg" is not
really defined.  Joke (attributed to Abe Lincoln):

	Q:  How many legs does a horse have, if you call its tail a leg?
	A:  Four.  Calling its tail a leg doesn't make it one.

> Browsing though my recently aquired draft lessons (3, pp.3-16, if you have
> it) I noted that time is given in base 12 (using the special cmavo for
> bases greater than 10).  Makes sense: daucac. == 10'o'clock, feicac. ==
> 11'o'clock.  But since this is (sortof) base 12, whouldn't nocac. ==
> zero'o'clock == 12'o'clock (rather than gaicac.) make more sense?  Ok, a
> minor point.  Here's another: since we are in base twelve, and pi is a
> "base point" (not just a decimal point), shouldn't li sopimu ("9.5" p.
> 3-19) translate as 9:25 (9 and five twelveths) rather than 9:30.  (This
> makes it easier too say quarter past nine, too: li sopici rather than li
> sopiremu, although it will confuse the out of many people.)

Arrgh, scream.  I believe this is an excellent >reductio ad absurdum< for
the whole idea of 12-based arithmetic!  Note, however, that the normal
equivalent of the ":" in 12:30 is pi'e (the compound-base point).

--
cowan@snark.thyrsus.com		...!uunet!cbmvax!snark!cowan
		e'osai ko sarji la lojban