Gismu uniqueness

First, as an aside, I'd like to suggest that the word lists be sent to
the mailing list.  That's what a mailing list is for, right?

Now, the point.  I wonder how many unique gismu we can have, given
that a gismu stripped of its final vowell is always a valid rafsi.

For example, consider "brivla", which is equivalent to "bridyvalsi".
If another gismu besides "bridi" matched the pattern "bridV", then
"bridyvalsi" would be ambiguous, and ambiguity is the one thing la
lojban. can't allow.

So if no gismu like "bridV" other than "bridi" can be created, then
why not have all gismu end with the same vowell, say "o", thus freeing
up "CVVCa", "CVVCe", etc. for other uses?
--
Chip Salzenberg at Teltronics/TCT     <chip@tct.com>, <uunet!pdn!tct!chip>