Re: Beginner question: seitu'a lo velrimni je pemci

>.i la .ivan. spuda mi di'e
>
>> Mark Vines wrote:
>> > [...] the first sumti, a position I think of as
>> > the topical.
>>
>> Is the notion that x1 is a topic position supported
>> by the standard?
>
>.i mi spuda la .ivan. di'e
>
>Not explicitly, as far as I know ... but the notion
>may be implied by the existence of "bridi-tail"
>conjunction cmavo, & other points of grammar, such
>as the effect of {gadri} descriptors, that do appear
>to "privilege" the x1 position.

Well the x1 position is privileged by the gadri descrirptors, but tha
should have no semantic import in interpreting a bridi, only a descriptor.

The existence of bridi-tail and other gramamtical structures in the YACC
should not be taken to infer anything.  Some things exist in the formal
grammar simply because they are necessary to make the language
unambiguous grammatically, and have no actual Lojbanic meaning at all,
much less semantic import.  In this case, a bridi tail only serves to
group those sumti that appear after the selbri to enable certain kinds
of constructions.  The existence of a bridi tail says nothing about how many
sumti appear before the selbri (if any).  So you can have a bridi tail
with x1 in the tail or you can have x1 and x2 before the selbri so that the
bridi-tail starts with x3.

Discussion on tiopoc comment is in the refgram, chap 19, section 4.
lojbab
----