"Nearly Correct" (was New thread, anyone?)

> Nora has been working (off line) on analyzing lujvo for inclusion
> in the dictionary.
>
> The concept is "almost correct".  The forming tanru is either
> jibni drani  or  drani jibni
>
> Which should it be?  (Bonus credit for forming the lujvo yourself %^)
> Why?   What shoudl the palce structure be?

"Almost Correct"

This seems symmetrical to me: the near-thing is the same as
the correct-thing, and either could serve as the tertau.
The jvoste lists "jbidra", but its place structure has two
anomalies I would argue with: the "property of nearness"
place is retained, even though it is really answered by the
lujvo itself: i.e., the near-thing is near in correctness.
Those places are glossed as "metrics" rather than properties,
but I think the same thing applies: if they are metrics,
then "near" fills that place of "correct", so in either
case one of those places should be ommitted (either j3 or
d2).  Similarly, j2 is really the same thing as d4: that to
which the nearly-correct thing is near is its standard/
ideal of correctness.

That leaves two choices:

    jbidra j1=d1  d2  d3     j2=d4 , and
    drajbi d1=j1  d4=j2  j3  d3

Even though the former is simpler (being identical to its
tertau in structure--and really unneeded as a lujvo for that
reason), I think I still prefer the latter: the gloss "x1
is nearly correct by standard/ideal x2 in property x3 under
condition/situation x4" seems a more natural order than the
other one, better emphasizing the almost-ness rather than
the correct-ness.  Also, the reorder gives it an excuse to
be a lujvo, and it's easier to pronounce as an observative/
expletive, for which I think it would be useful.  "drajbi!"
sounds like a good expletive to me.

--
Lee Daniel Crocker <lee@piclab.com> <http://www.piclab.com/lcrocker.html>
"All inventions or works of authorship original to me, herein and past,