Re: Simple Lojban questions

On Wed, 24 Sep 1997, JORGE JOAQUIN LLAMBIAS replied to this question:
> >Allowing the selbri to be the last word in a
> >bridi forces a listener to retain a potentially long string a sumti in
> >short term memory until the selbri is finally heard, at which point the
> >listener must mentally fit together all of the sumti just heard, placing
> >a large burden on the listener for all but very short bridi.
>
> It would certainly be bad manners on the part of the speaker. When
> the first arguments are short, on the other hand, they can be put first
> without any problem.

I hope it isn't bad manners, because I like to try to do this occasionally
in my writing.  I think it's a good exercise for writer and reader (or
speaker and listener) to make an effort to explore the parts of Lojban
that are most unlike their native languages.  Anyway, as PC pointed out,
lots of languages (like Japanese) get by just fine with
subject-object-verb word order.  Lojban is just a switch-hitter.

>  >The
> >reason I ask is that I am currently considering learning the Dvorak
> >style keyboard

A logical language and a logical English keyboard layout are logical
individually but not collectively.  No one has yet tried to optimize the
keyboard for Lojban: are you interested?  I can't promise you I'll use
what you invent though; I've been typing disturbingly little Lojban
lately.

co'o mi'e kris