Re: RV: na'e entails na?

>> The only alternative
>> I can think of would be an aorist-like
>
>why "aorist-like"?

I was likening to aorist tenses wherein the aorist future does not deny the
present or past.

Not sure what the corresponding linguistic term would be for exclusive
/non-exclusive scalar negation.

>> predicate "I claim a different
>> relationship from broda pertains, but not necessarily denying broda".
>> For this, I suggest that "bu'a",
>
>Two drawbacks: (i) irksome longwindedness, especially given that
>na`e was invented for exactly the purpose I am proposing,

As the inventor of na'e as something distinct from na, I have to correct this.
na'e differs in scope and is grammatical in tanru (where its semantics are
of course debatable), and na'e is intended to cover the scalar negation of
natural language.  If natural language scalar negation does or does not
entail predicate negation, than the same should apply to na'e which is not
a logical operation.  I've asked pc for an opinion (can't say "ruling"
anymore - we don't "rule" in Lojban Central), but he seems not to be active
online these days.  Or someone should check out what Horn says on the
subjkect, since his books is a veritable bible of negation in all its forms.

>(ii) merely quantifying over selbri fails to express the notion
>of "relevant scale" that na`e does - one would need a way of
>quantifying over "relevant selbri" (which could be done by some
>new cmavo or other, I suppose...)

We do have a BAI cmavo for scale that could be used for this purpose perhaps.

lojbab
----