Re: na`e

On Tue, 23 Sep 1997, John Cowan wrote:

> JORGE JOAQUIN LLAMBIAS wrote:
>
> > Lojban is not really well suited to handle quantification of selbri,
> > but something like this at least superficially works:
> >
> > (1)        su'o bu'a poi na vreta zo'u le mlatu cu bu'a le stizu
> >              For some <X> which is not "vreta", the cat <X> the chair.
> >
> > I think {su'o bu'a poi na vreta} really means something else, but
> > that's a different story which I'm not sure we want to get into.
>
> For "poi" read "cei", which makes everything fine.

But if "bu'a" means "some selbri 1", then how can it be assigned to a
specific selbri without "poi"? I thought "cei" was for assignable
pro-bridi - which "bu'a" isn't - and "poi" was for relative clauses -
which are one of the few ways you can restrict the scope of a logically
quantifiable existential pro-bridi.