Re: na`e

In message <875038665.1013098.0@listserv.cuny.edu> cowan@DRV.CBC.COM writes:

> JORGE JOAQUIN LLAMBIAS wrote:
>
> > Lojban is not really well suited to handle quantification of selbri,
> > but something like this at least superficially works:
> >
> > (1)        su'o bu'a poi na vreta zo'u le mlatu cu bu'a le stizu
> >              For some <X> which is not "vreta", the cat <X> the chair.
> >
> > I think {su'o bu'a poi na vreta} really means something else, but
> > that's a different story which I'm not sure we want to get into.
>
> For "poi" read "cei", which makes everything fine.

Last I heard:
 cei       CEI      pro-bridi assign
 selbri variable assignment; assigns broda series pro-bridi to a selbri

i.e. {li'o bu'a cei na vreta li'o} *defines* {bu'a} (which would be
more appropriate as {broda}) to be the selbri {na vreta} -
or are you saying that when {cei} is used with a BUhA,
we reinterpret {cei} to mean what Jorge wants?
I don't think this really works - it's really the {cei} which needs
to be negated ({na'ebo cei}? :) rather than the following selbri,
which needs to be interpreted as a unit.  You couldn't for instance
say {bu'a cei ke viska ja sumne ja tirna} to get a brivla which
means exactly one of the three options - instead you get one which
means the combination of all three.
co'o mi'e .i,n.
--
Iain Alexander               PGP 1024-bit key id B501A0AD
ia@stryx.demon.co.uk   I.Alexander@bsn0106.wins.icl.co.uk