Re: habitual

   > Now, let's try `habitually' in that utterance:
   >
   >    >         ta'e kalte fa lo mlatu loi smacu
   >
   > Here we have to look at the hunting and at the cat and its previous
   > experience and at the mouse and its previous experience (or the
   > plurals of these, or the `Mr. Mouse' entity).  This works, too.

jorge@phyast.pitt.edu said

   Its experience previous to what? Does ta'e make reference to what
   went on before the interval in question?

Yes, I think it must.  Otherwise the word cannnot have a meaning
different from {na'o}, as you originally pointed out.

Essentially, what I am saying is that {na'o} suggests looking at the
experiences of *different* entities of the same category, occuring but
(in theory at least, potentially,) at the same in time, while {ta'e}
suggests looking at other experiences in the same category of the
*same* entities, which of neccessity occur at different times.

    Robert J. Chassell               bob@gnu.ai.mit.edu
    25 Rattlesnake Mountain Road     bob@grackle.stockbridge.ma.us
    Stockbridge, MA 01262-0693 USA   (413) 298-4725