Re: Cowan's summary: opacity and sumti-raising

la djan cusku di'e

> We agree that "mi sisku lo broda" means "there exists a broda that I am
> looking for", which is not at all the sense of "I'm looking for a thingummy",
> which is "mi sisku le ka broda".

If we agree that "mi sisku lo broda" means "there exists a broda that I am
looking for", then from that "mi sisku le broda" means "for each of the
broda I have in mind, it is true that I'm looking for it".

But that is not compatible with "mi sisku le ka broda", unless it means that
I'm looking for the property and not an object with that property.

> The point of debate is whether to tolerate "mi sisku le mi broda", where the
> object of search is +specific, as a valid extension of the meaning of "sisku".

With the definition as it is now in the gismu list, "mi sisku lo broda" does
not mean "there exists a broda that I am looking for". What I was arguing
for is that it should mean that.

Jorge