Re: reply: (1) veridicality

Chris:
> If "lo" has no other use but as a
> veridiciality particle, I just don't think people would bother to use it if
> they didn't want to be literal.  (the hole in this argument may be that
> since the quantifiers are different, they'll ignore veridiciality and choose
> based on the quantifiers)

Most of the UIs are like this, I suspect. Only strong irony would lead
us to use them nonliterally (& arguably, if irony is a form of quotation
then irony is not necessarily nonliteral).

But "lo" does have a use other than as a veridicality particle.
"lo broda" = "da poi broda", i.e. existential quantification,
while "le broda" doesn't - "le broda" is a reference to a constant,
not toa bound variable.

---
And

[p.s. It was a rare pleasure for me to receive a message saying
"I basically agree with you"!]