Re lojbanizing umlaut

        I have a lot of experience on the Anglicized pronunciation
of the letters oe found in my last name, Koenig.  By far the
majority will pronounce it "ko-nig", rhymes with "hoe,dig",
when they see it written.  The visual rules.
        Trying to get a more sound-based pronunciation such as
the one actually transmitted to me, is like trying to swim up
Niagara Falls.  We actually say "kay-nig", rhymes with "may,dig".
My father, third generation here, was the last to express the
fricative of the terminal g.
        Apparently my predecessors thought the oe was closer to the broad "a"
than the long "o" in English.
        Go visual, and I don't mean this editor I'm typing on.

Gerald Koenig  jlk@netcom.com