> Well, here's my detailed critique.
> > california              kalifornias
>                         kelifornias. (BG)
> >    sacramento              sakramentos
>                                 sekrymentos. (BG modified)
> >    san francisco           sanfransiskos
>                                 senfrensiskos. (BG)
>                                 sanfransiskos. (Spanish)
> >    los angeles             losANdzylys [spanish: losANxeles]
>                                 losENdjylys.

> my can't-define-it-but-I-know-it-when-I-see-it criteria for "major"

Well, as it is one of the top 10 or 11 cities in the COUNTRY by
population, I don't think you can get away with omitting San Diego.  And
as San Jose is larger than San Francisco, it really ought to be there
too ... Here are my suggestions...

        San Diego                   sendiegos
        San Jose                    senxoses (Spanish)
        San Jose                    senxozes ('Murrican)
--
Doug Landauer -- landauer@eng.sun.com                   _
Sun Microsystems, Inc. -- SMI/SunSoft/DevPro/ADE       La no ka 'oi.