Re: begginer exercize

la lojbab cusku di'e
<<<<<
These are of course NOT beginner level exercises, as the last bit with "through"
the window should have shown.  Any English sentence which uses a preposition,
such that the preposition does not correspond to the 'obvious' gismu's place
structure, means that you are going to have to do some fancy stuff in
translation.  'Fancy' of course is in the eye of the beholder.  There are
simple expressions using BAI that probably meet the obvious interpretation
of Frank's sentences, but you risk running afoul of Rick Morneau's metaphor
malglico-ism whenever you use BAI.

This is why 'translation' is inherently NOT a beginner activity.  Veijo in
a lot of essays last year urged people to use Lojban AS IT IS, rather than
trying to translate, which is both limiting and discouraging when you find
that the phrase that seems so simple in English is not simple in Lojban.

I never stated that I successfully produced a beginner exercise.
I was hoping that a failed attempt might inspire someone else to
do a better job. I strongly agreed that using lojban in native
mode is the best procedure. Unfortunately, I am not yet capable
of native lojban usage. If easy lojban text existed, then I could
model on text that I read.

I regard the "thru the window" example as a massive success.
I had a mabla-glico blind spot in my usage. I got lots of
information on alternate interpretations in different languages.
My understanding has increased much more than if I had
come up with good usage to start with.
--
        Frank Schulz ( fschulz@pyramid.com )