Re: response to art protin on 'nu'

Folks,
    I stirred it up by asking why "nu" ("event") wwas used for things
that I thought were states.  I spoke of a view that I shared with the
Webster's dictionary that there was negligable overlap between the
concepts for the English words "event" and "state".  The answer that
I am internalizing is that "event" is just an English handle for the
concept behind "nu" and that most of the common interpretations of
"event" are packed into "activity" ("zu'o") or "achievement" ("mu'e").

    Now Dave Matuszek and John Cowan are arguing as to the sensibility
of talking about "the activity of sleeping".  This is a very natural
concept for me and if this bothers you I have even more extreme views
to inflict on you.  Clearly the null action is an action.  I don't
accept John's justification:
> Anything that has a repetitive component can be viewed as an activity.
I don't find it necessary.  I agree that
> Sleeping can readily be thought of as an activity
but forget all the motion.  It is what occupies the entirety of my
attention.  It is what I am doing.  Other "activities" that involve
no directed motion include waiting and ignoring.

    I will continue to work on this.  Can anybody give me a reference
to the the Aristotelian categorization of events?  I have never heard
of it before.

    thank you all,
    Art

Arthur Protin <protin@pica.army.mil>
These are my personal views and do not reflect those of my boss
or this installation.