Why I didn't give a word-for-word

Let the following word-for-word be my defence:

]To: lojban-list@snark.thyrsus.com
]Subject: MEX: a trial text, and some ballyhooing.
]Date: Mon, 01 Jul 91 13:30:52 +1000
]From: nsn@ee.mu.OZ.AU

]>From p.91, ALGEBRA AND GEOMETRY, Holton & Lloyd
]Theorem 3.
]di'e cimoi le'i cmaci se smadi

The following is the third in the set of the mathematical guesses

]Let V be a vector space over F.
].i vy. nu'a jo'i klesi .i fy. lu'a lu'a vy.
]{F is the class of the vector elements, the vectors being the elements of V}

V is a is-vector class. (nu'a jo'i = vector in this posting)
F, the members of the members of V. (That should be .i fy. *klesi* lu'a lu'a vy)

]Then (i) 0 x = 0 for all x in V
].inaja ge li pi'i noboi xy. du li no va'o lenu roda po'u xy. cmima vy.

Only if both the amount plus zero x equals the amount zero with condition
the event of everything that is x is a member of V
]
]     (ii) -x = (-1) x for all x in V
]gi li va'a xy. du li pi'i va'a pa tu'o xy. va'o lenu roda po'u xy. cmima vy

and the amount negative x equals the amount product negatve one blank x
with condition the event of everything that is x is a member of V.

]Proof
].i di'e cipra

The following is a test

](i) Note carefully that the two zeroes in the equation 0 x = 0 are different.
].i pamai (to ko zgana sai lenu lore lino pe vi me'o na'u du pi'i noboi xy.boi
]no cu na'e mintu
]{Note: to shove the whole expression 0x=0, including '=', into a mekso, I
]make 'du' itself an operator.}

Firstly (Observe (!) the event that they that were the two quantites of zero
which were in the equation "the equality of (the product of x and zero) and
zero" are not the same. {which is not right:one thing in lojban is same to
another, palore lino pe vi... na'e mintu le drata}

]The zero in the LHS is a scalar in F,
].i le pamoi be le'i noboi cu nu'a na'e jo'i co cmima fy.

The first of the set of zeros is a non-vector-operand-thing of type member of F

]while the zero on the RHS is the zero vector in V.)
].i le remoi cu nomei nu'a jo'i co cmima vy. toi)

The second is a zerosome vector of type member of V)

]Now 0 = 0 x + (-[0 x]), by v5
]su'anai li 0 du li + * 0boi xy. va'a * 0boi xy. ja'i vy.mu

Moving along: (etc.)

Can *you* understand the above drivel? Now *this* is why I didn't post a word-
for-word translation: it's more harm than good.

Of course, if the above *did* help you, then I apologise; but writing the above
was highly unpleasant to me: I can formulate lojbanically in lojban, but in
English I'm left with a bleeding mess.