Observative example, grammar question

At the L.A. group meeting we discussed "observatives",  Initially we had
trouble to analyse the meaning of the bare kunbri "nanmu"; we concluded
that it meant "manliness is happening here", but the distinction between
that and "a man", while obviously real, is hard to explain.  But we came
up with a better example:

	carvi				It's raining
	lo carvi			Look, raindrops

Now a grammar question:  Translate "The cat on the mat eats the rat" using
a modal phrase.

	le mlatu be vi le matci cu citka le ratcu

Is "be" used correctly here to link "vi le matci" to the sumti rather than
the selbri?  Assuming it is (and continuing a previous thread), how does
this differ from

	le bajra be ve lo'e dargu cu citka le cinki
	The roadrunner (runner via roads) eats the insect (ve = place tag 4)

(Please don't flame the literal translation; I needed an exact parallel.)
The official linker is "vo be" (digit 4), but would my usage actually be
rejected by the grammar and would it be incomprehensible to subsequent
steps?

		-- jimc