planned languages server

A note of clarification that seems to have been missed in the recent
discussion on electronic distribution.

There is NO 'class A' material released for distribution yet.  John Cowan
is one of the committee membersUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU%&"{le]p

Oops - line dropped.  Lets try this again.

There is no 'class A mateiral' yet.  John Cowan is one of a committee
charged with developing a policy, and specifically with getting comments
from all of you on it.  The policy statement he posted was for comment
as has not been adopted.  Something similar will likely be approved at
the June LogFest meeting - to whcih everyone is invoited, of course.

Until then, there is not SUPPOSED to be anything on the Planned Langugages
Server, and anything there is unofficial and unapproved.  I don't vouch
for it, and we aren;t supporting it.  At last word, the "index lojban"
command was a lucky guess, because "lojban" didn't appear in the directory
of indexes.

If you NEED something that is up there now, fine - go ahead, it is probably
valid.  But we are not going to post anything new until after a policy is
adopted.  To give an example why, the brochure is absolutely going to be
out of date within a month, becausewe will be changing some other policioes
besides the elctronic one.  (There has been close to 0 cash in since JL14
came out - only a couple people have sent money for orders, and no one for
almost nothing for balances.  Since $2000 was spent on JL14 and LK14, our brief financioal
security is gone again.  Decisions, tough ones, will have to be made, or there
will be no textbook, and LLG may have to go inactive because I'll have to go
to work to make income.  I intend that this not happen, hence I'm sure that
something in our policy will have to change.

The elctronic distribution policy is hostage to our financial situation.  If
we cannot get enough donations and paid sales of the stuff we send out, we cannot afford to give it away free.  Not enough of you are paying now.  I find it
difficult to work on producing new stuff when I can;t see how to get it to
all the people who want it (electronic-only distribution is NOT an option
because of a requirement for fairness to those without net access.

Hopefully this comment will stir some productive debate.  So far I've heard a
little bit about what people want to see, and more - in the parser pricing
discussion, on what people are willing to do on one item.  I'd like to
see someone come up with an idea on how LLG can get its 250 JL subscribers
and 350 LK subscribers to contrinute the net $10000-$15000 we will spend this
year, most of which will not be eliminated through electronic distribution.

----
lojbab = Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
         2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA
         703-385-0273
         lojbab@snark.thyrsus.com