planned languages archive

   Return-Receipt-To: cbmvax!pyramid!infmx!godzilla!cortesi@uunet.UU.NET
   From: infmx!godzilla!cortesi@uunet.UU.NET (David Cortesi)
   Date: Wed, 15 May 91 14:39:08 PDT

   I have tried using the planned-languages archive server with mixed
   results.  The machine responded with commendable promptness, compared
   to some others I've used.  Unfortunately I found problems with the
   files I retrieved.

   I retrieved the lojban brochure in French, just for a kick. Unfortunately
   what I got is not usable.  There is a helpful note at the top of the file
   listing the PC character codes that were used for accented characters
   and how to get rid of them with a "tr" command.  Unfortunately those are
   no longer in the file: they appear to have been converted at some point
   by stripping their high bits.  What once was octal 202 now is ^B, etc.
   I couldn't say if that happened on the way into the archive or on the
   way out, but that's how it got to me.

   Also the french brochure has a large number of broken lines. These most
   likely occur where an accented character (probably octal 212, 'e) when
   stripped of its high bit, turned into a linefeed or cr.

Youch.  Looks like it got mangled on the way into the archive, as our
original seems to have the same difficulty.  Sorry we didn't notice it.
I'll try to fix it.  With any luck, it shouldn't take much more than a
little replace-string, plus something for the \0212 characters.

   I also retrieved the only gismu list shown in the index. This turns out
   to be the '88 baseline version which we all know & love.  I had been
   hoping to find the latest revision, the one that contains 100-byte
   English renderings.  Will that be sent to the p-l server soon?

That's what lojbab sent us.  I hear they're working on getting other stuff
over (including, presumably, a later Gismu list).  As I understand it, part
of the problem is that LLG does most of its work on another computer
system, and conversion takes time, which is a valuable commodity.  It's not
high on the priority list.

   Finally, I had hoped to see the cmavo file sent out with the recent JL,
   but it wasn't visible in the index file.  I *really* want to get that
   so I can print it sorted by morpheme, not by cmavo (then maybe it will
   be of some use...)

We haven't got a cmavo list, only the gismu list.  Perhaps that will be
remedied.

Thanks for your interest.

~mark
      o o     o   o             o o   o     o        o   o     o o
              o                       o	o   o  	   o       o   	 o
  o   o     o     o         o     o     o   o      o   	 o     o     N2KOT
Mark E. Shoulson:  shoulson@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu