Re: logical gaffs

At 1997-11-30 02:44, Logical Language Group wrote:

>>(k) Abortion is murder.
>>
>>(i) & (j) are on their face category errors, so they must be metonymic if
>>they are to have any meaning at all. I think if you tried to translate
>>any of these three into Lojban, the emotional subterfuge involved would
>>become very obvious.
>
>I think not, actually.  Those on one side would choose different lujvo
>based on different metaphors for each of the three, which metaphors would
>make the statements more obviously true.  For example, using English
>rather than making the lujvo:
>
>(k) lenu embryo-dead-cause cu crime-ke-dead-cause

Your choice of lujvo has already served to make the involved subterfuge
obvious, since it would surely immediately prompt the question

lenu <<embryo-dead-cause>> cu zekri ma

The point is, {zekri} has an x2 place, whereas the English 'crime' and
'murder' sound like objective words, and need to be qualified with
'according to x2' to reveal their subjectivity.

--
Ashley Yakeley, Seattle WA
http://www.halcyon.com/ashleyb/