Re: Is Lojban important?

At 1997-11-29 05:46, Robin Turner wrote:

>My attitude is similar to that
>expressed in one of Iain Banks' "Culture" novels, where Marain is described
>as "language as cultural weapon, and proud of it"!(incidentally, does
>anyone know if Banks actually did some work on Marain?)

I've read all his 'Culture' books, the only examples of Marain I saw were
the wonderfully long transliterated personal names, and the script at the
end of _The Player of Games_ (also a personal name), which is based on
line segments between a three-by-three dot grid ('standard nonary
Marain').

I imagine Marain would be closer to Lojban than to any other currently
used human language.

--
Ashley Yakeley, Seattle WA
http://www.halcyon.com/ashleyb/