Re: kau

This seems to be the line that And remembered:
>ni'o co'i le cerni cu preti fofo'a feleli'i fo'a capu sipna ge'ekau

"In the morning they asked her how she had slept."

I would use {peikau} rather than {ge'ekau}, but in any
case it is definitely an indirect question.

As focus marker I would use {ba'e}:

     mi djuno le du`u ba'e la djan dancatra la alis
     I know that it was John that shot Alice.

     ba'e la djan dancatra la alis
     It was John that shot Alice.

It is not very clear to me why {ba'e} couldn't just have been a UI,
and thus spare yet another selmaho, but that's another story.

co'o mi'e xorxes