from the paper archives - pc on abstractors and tense

On a hunch, I wandered over and looked into the archives, and found
something relevant - the birth of the Aristotelian abstractors in NU, as
well of the current Lojban tense system.  This may explain a lot of
questions, and incidentally give Cowan some good words for the reference
grammar, because I don't think even he has read this before.

Over the course of 1987, most of our work was the production of the
gismu list for what was then called Loglan-88.  However, based on notes
from pc about each TLI cmavo, I also prepared a list of desired
Loglan-88 cmavo to be assigned where possible based on the new gismu,
and also to set of systems for memory hooks e.g. se/te/ve.  This was
obviously an iterative process until the gismu list was completed just
before Xmas 1987.  Many of the cmavo, were however, assigned before my
wedding to Nora which used vows written using a hybrid with mixed TLI
and Loglan-88 words.  For the most part, all of the early cmavo were
either direct crossovers from TLI lists, or were derived from proposals
made by Jim Carter and by others during the TLI period.

Around January 1988, shortly after the gismu list was finished, I
prepared a first draft cmavo list (reported in JL5).  I don't see a
printed copy of this in the archives, though pc may have it, since he
commented on it.  It may also be on my long-unused 8086-based computer,
which I was still using back then.  Maybe I'll be able to offload the
files from that machine for historical purposes.

His extensive comments on that list were received in a letter dated 28
Jan 1988.  In the discussion of abstractors, his comments indicate that
"jei" was already there, and we had added "ce" for "process
abstractions".

The latter was added on the basis of a then-recent paper pc had read and
sent me a copy of:  _Principle of Abstraction for Events and Processes_
Peter Roeper, Journal of Philosophy of Logic 16 (1987) 273-307.  I
hadn't been able to understand the paper, and asked pc to explain it to
me on the phone.  I don't remember the details but I have the paper
(which I still don't think I can understand %^).  The paper makes a
distinction between event clauses and process clauses, and on the basis
of pc's explanation, I misunderstood that we needed to make the
distinction between "nu" and something else which I assigned to "ce".

pc's comments in his letter (edited, * indicates my emphases):

>I am also doubtful about the need for a special operator for process
>abstraction.  Processes are just events with certain special attributes.
>Could we have the same sentence abstracted by ce and nu to different
>results?  The closest I can come to an affirmative answer is those cases
>where English uses almost the same words to describe a proces and the
>state of habitually being involved in that process:  "He is building a
>house."  (process) and "He builds houses" (state - probably) I think
>Loglan has (*well, should have) better ways of dealing with this
>difference.

[pc has stated the problem - it was up to me to find a solution, is
basically the way I responded to this]

For the record (because it will turn up again when we get to tenses
(properly speaking), the types of event usually distinguished (the set
goes back to Aristotle; I'm not sure how I-E it is, rather than neutral -
the usual tests are linguistic.) are states, activities, achievements,
and processes.

[pc then went into a lengthy definition of each of the 4 types, with
examples.  Given the length he went to, his statement that this
classification had been standard since Aristotle, and that he believed
it to be neutral, rather than I-E biased, my brain started working
feverishly %^)]

>States start fully in place, last for a period without any internal
>differences (so far as the state is concerned) and end without any
>change either.  Activities can't be said to be going on (and they do,
>rather than just last) until they have already been going on (huh?!  You
>can't say "I am running" until you can already say "I have run" - think
>about it) and they stop in a similar way.  Activities tend to be
>composed of cyclic events often with the same name as the longer
>stretch, though otherwise identifiable - running so long as you keep
>repeating the little-running pattern.  Acheivements are instantaneous,
>they can't go on at all, they tend to be the beginning or end of another
>kind of event, often with some other conditions present (e.g. winning a
>race is the end of running a race plus a further condition about being
>the first to do so.)  Processes have a definite beginning and a definite
>finish, though they may end before they are finished, and they go on by
>a series of different subprocesses and activities, not cyclic with
>respect to the overprocess.  So building a house may encompass building
>a wall (another process) which encompasses the activity of laying
>bricks.  A process is not perfected while it is still going on (you
>can't say "I have built this house" at the same time as you can say "I
>am building this hous" - in contrast to an activity.)  The goal is
>decisive for processes, apparently, since adding one can make an
>activity into a process - running is an activity, running a mile is a
>process (and running a mile every day is an ac tivity again - the
>element of repetition.)  The thing about processes is that they can be
>finished, or they can stop short of finishing, or they can be carried on
>- or rather the corresponding activity can - beyond the goal (He stopped
>running/ran the mise/kept on running.)

[Several pages later, he did get to tense, and gave me the following
brief course in his professional specialty.  I know I had a phone con
with him discussing all this, and am quite sure that I suggested having
cmavo for the 4 Aristotlian event types by the end of that conversation,
or perhaps the next day, as a solution to the "problem" he cited above.]

[I know that as soon as the idea of putting the 4 types into the
language came into my head, I saw that by the standard rules of Loglan,
any predicate could be abstracted using any of the four types of
Arisotelian abstractors.  I asked pc, in the course of discussing
aspect, whether this would work, whether you could use an arbitrary
Aristotelian abstractor with an arbitrary predicate.  We discussed "run
a race" and "beat the dog" as specific predicates because these came up
in the aspect discussion, and by the end of the discussion, the
Aristotelian operators were solidly ensconced in the language design as
the rational basis for both our tense and our event operators.]

[Here is that all-inspiring lecture on tense, from which so much of the
Lojban design (especially the parts that differ from TLI Loglan) spring.
Note that is comments about the then-Lojban system how to say various
things may not be completely accurate because in 1988 our tense grammar
was very close to TLI's, and had no contours,and a totally different
system of expressing distance/interval/direction than at present.]

> [...]
>womething about the differences among them.  And all of these factors
>and more come into play at the intensional level.  First, before some
>events - especially processes and achievements - they are viewed as
>already present ("in their causes" as it is said.)  This inchoative
>aspect may even constitute an event - a state or activity which goes on
>for while or it may be a simple matter of referring to the coming event.
>Similarly, after the event it may continue to be present in its effects,
>again constituting a state (at least) as well as a back reference to
>event itself.  And, of course, there are the several sorts of
>transitions into and out of events.  States just switch on and off
>conceptually (even though becoming blue - sliding up the fuzzy value
>curve - may take some time, the final step from non-blue to blue is
>treated as instantaneous.)  Activities may take longer to start up.
>Being cyclic, it can be argued that the activity isn't really engaged in
>until at least one cycle is done.  So really getting to running takes at
>least the one process of putting a foot down on the the ball and rolling
>in that certain way and...  They peter out in a reverse fashion:  one
>foot coming down without the other already in its phase of the cycle or
>so.  Of course, an activity may also stop abruptly (he smashes into the
>wall or jsut keels over or ...) and this may be seen as a different
>ending.  Processes, of course, can end in two clearcut ways - stopping
>and finishing - depending upon whether the goal has been achieved.  The
>big one is abrupt, often an achievement.  The other, merely stopping,
>reduces the process to an activity (for there is no longer a goal), and
>so may be more slow or not.  The superfective ("keep on") also reduces a
>process to an activity and so can go on.
>
>And in the middle, we don't even talk of states as going on, they just
>are.  A progressive, if they had one, would perhaps guarantee that it
>was neither the beginning nor the end of the state, that there was a bit
>left and had already been a bit but that is already risky, since states
>don't have natural limits.  Activities do, so that they can progress,
>with the propriety - as noted - that there already has been a bit - the
>first cycle - before we can say it is going on presumably - barring a
>crash - a bit more to wind down.  But processes don't look back at the
>whole until it is finished, so when it is going on, you can say it has
>been going on but not that it has been ("He has been building the house
>and still is" but not "He is building the house and has built it" or "he
>is building the house and built it" - where all are possible with "He is
>running".)  Loglan note:  if "-e-" is at all intentional, it goes only
>with activities and processes - achievements don't extend in time at all
>and states don't go on.  And so we also need at least two ending words

lojbab (with thanks to Nora for typing all this in,and pc for writing it)