algorithms

mi cusku di'e
>> It would
>> be helpful if there was some more discussion about those areas where there
>> is concensus. Could there be somethinglike this on the email list?

xorxes cusku di'e
>Sure. You can start a discussion on anything you like, and usually you
>will get a response.

Actually, there is something I've been wondering about, which perhaps has
some bearing on the existential import issue, and also (perhaps) on the
issue of the much belabored 3 men who pet 3 dogs.

How are algorithms expressed in lojban? Of course, one could just describe
them, but the concepts seem a little rich for the syntax of mathematical
expression.
It would be interesting if one could say:

man=Array[mana, manb, manc]
dog=Array[doga, dogb, dogc]
For i taking values from one to three
 For j taking values from one to three
  man[i] pets dog[j]
 End For
End For

or to avoid implying a specific order:

man=Array[Randomize[mana, manb, manc]]
dog=Array[Randomize[doga, dogb, dogc]]

For i taking values from one to three
 For j taking values from one to three
  man[i] pets dog[j]
 End For
End For

or to mean a different thing

For i taking values from one to three
 j=Random[integer on closed interval (1,3)]
 man[i] pets dog[j]
End For

There are several languages which might provide lots of fermentive ideas:
APL, for example, or its modern progeny J Both languages from Ken Iverson.
Mathematica by Steven Wolfram a very rich language.

I believe that handling of problems involving statements about the dogs and
men might benefit from some algorithmic thinking. By the way, the example
algorithmic expression was chosen for clarity of expressing the idea. There
are some powerful operaters in J and Mathematica which would handle these
types of expressions with elegant precision and compactness.

Any ideas?

-stivn

Steven M. Belknap, M.D.
Assistant Professor of Clinical Pharmacology and Medicine
University of Illinois College of Medicine at Peoria

email: sbelknap@uic.edu
Voice: 309/671-3403
Fax:   309/671-8413