afterthought conn within NU?

While listening to the Nicholas Tapes (just got to Goran singing the
Lojbo-Croat anthem amidst a drunken revel), among much fascinating
stuff I came across Nik telling Ivan that you can't do afterthought
bridi connectives within a NU clause. Is this true? I certainly don't
know how to do it, but I'd always assumed that that was because I
don't know how to do most things Lojban is capable of. Nik says to
Ivan that the solution is to insert a {kei} plus sumti conn
(i.e., I presume, {le nu .... kei e le nu...}) but that quite
obviously distorts the semantics (so much so that I conclude I
misunderstood the discussion due to poor audio quality).

---
And