Re: quantifiers

pc:
> _da_ is a variable, so it ranges over certain things, deals
> distributively with them.  These things are everything in the universe of
> discourse (or that exists, but that is another fight) unless we
> explicitly restrict to some other things.  This restriction we do in
> Lojban with _poi_ followed by the predicate expression that defines the
> new range (_voi_ also works and, I expect, some other things as well).

Of course, I don't disagree with that. I just want to allow extreme
restriction to the empty class.

> 1a ro broda cu brode
> 1b ro da poi broda cu brode
> 1c ro da broda nagi'a brode
> 1d su'o da broda ije ro da broda nagi'a brode

> Actually, I would not really take 1a and 1b to mean the same as 1d
> although they turn out to be true on the same occasions (assuming,
> to avoid much more muddling matters, that all the brodas are in the domain
> of discourse or that restriction is to a subdomain).

That's what I meant by "meaning the same". I am not claiming that they
would not have different connotations. What I meant was that in a logical
argument I could jump from any one to the other.

> > O: Some S is not P (xu'o?)
> If the default for the complement of {da'a} was "at least 1", rather
> than 1, I think that would be it.
> pc:
> I don't recognize da'a, but the complement of xu'o would not be "at least
> one."

da'a means "all but", and if not followed by anything, then by default it
is taken to be "all but one". If instead of that default, the default was
"all but at least one" then that would be "xu'o".

> Why is duality so important but existential import not?

Well, for one thing, it allows to write all of A, E, I and O in terms
of a single quantifier. For instance in terms of {ro}: