>         Cxiu amas iun.
>         Everybody loves somebody.
>
>         Iun amas cxiu.
>         Everybody loves somebody.
>
>         Iu estas amata de cxiu.
>         Somebody is loved by everybody.
>
>         De cxiu estas amata iu.
>         By everybody, somebody is loved.
>
> And you can make more combinations. To me it seems that the difference in
> scope is handled by using the participle, like English does, but you can
> still play with the word order.

My reading of this is that the surface order of sumti doesn't matter, whereas
the presence or absence of a "se" conversion does matter.  This is precisely
the notion you say "would be really confusing, and [you] don't see the point
of it" in response to Lojbab.  Now admittedly,

> Esperanto certainly does not claim to reflect predicate logic.

but what's sauce for one might well have some piquancy for the other, no?

--
John Cowan		sharing account <lojbab@access.digex.net> for now
		e'osai ko sarji la lojban.