Re: jei

>Lojbab:
>> But mi djuno fi lejei broda DOES mean "I know whether broda" more or less.
>> It means I know something about the truth value of the predication broda,
>> which to me means "I know whether broda".
>
>"I know whether broda" is "I know what the truth value of broda is [i.e.
>0, 1 or maybe some value in between]". You can know something about
>thr truth value without knowing whether it is 0 or 1: e.g. you may
>know that I'm trying to discover what the truth value of broda is,
>so you therefore know something about the truth value of broda.

Yes, but ellipsis presumes cooperastive listener and speaker.  I would
undoubtedly phrase the sentece differently to say something like that
(or have context that clearly indicates it).  I guess I could also make
it clear with lekau jei broda , which to me seems more obvious than ledu'u
xukau - which seems very malglico for some reason to me (or malrarna) when
jei is explicitly available.  xu just too strongly asks a question to me,
even if metalinguistically marked.

lojbab