Re: Subject: Re: TEXT: pemci

la lojbab. cusku di'e

> I think Chinese also has a different way of indicating number than the
> standard European model, but perhaps our Chinese readers can add to this.

Chinese plurals are almost exactly like Lojban ones.  In general, any
Chinese noun can be either singular or plural in meaning, and plurality is
indicated by either an explicit number or a vague number-word like "many".
Pronouns are always marked for number; the suffix "-men" marks plural.
This same suffix can also be used on a polysyllabic noun referring to
human beings, but such use is very rare.

There is also the special noun classifier xie1, which means "several"
when used with the number yi1 (one), and marks plural when used with the
demonstrative adjectives (this, that, etc.).  Lojban does not, of course,
have noun classifiers.

--
John Cowan		sharing account <lojbab@access.digex.net> for now
		e'osai ko sarji la lojban.