Re: Subject: Re: TEXT: pemci

la lojbab cusku di'e

> Date:         Wed, 7 Dec 1994 01:43:30 -0500
> From:         Logical Language Group <lojbab@ACCESS.DIGEX.NET>
> Subject:      Re: Subject: Re: TEXT: pemci

> I think Chinese also has a different way of indicating number than the
> standard European model, but perhaps our Chinese readers can add to this.
> (Veijo speak up for Finnish, too, since it is also non I-E).

  Finnish has a quite regular plural - when explicit quantifiers are
  not used. The plural can also make the definite/indefinite distinction
  unlike the singular.

       talo      the house        singular, nominative
       talot     the houses       plural, nominative
       taloja    houses           plural, partitive (part of some
                                   universal total mass of houses)

  Quantifiers are usually attached to the singular partitive

       viisi taloa   five houses ( ~ five pieces/units of house )
                                 ( viisi kappaletta taloja )

  If the quantifier is attached to the plural we are speaking of sets
  and the quantifier will be in plural!

       viidet housut   five pairs of trousers

  A quantifier/qualifier pair is attached to the plural partitive with
  the qualifier in the singular partitive

       viisi kiloa jauhoja   five kilos of flour

  ----

  Japanese has no marked plural as such but sometimes duplication is
  used ( yama -> yamayama ) or a suffix with plural implication
  ( hito -> hitotachi ). Quantifiers are always used with a qualifier

      hon  o             yomu
      book + obj marker  read
      I/you/he/she/someone read(s) a book/books
      (the subject is quite often elided)

      hon o nisatsu   yomu
      book  2 volumes read
      I read two books