Re: Subject: Re: TEXT: pemci

Goran:
> > Lo Lojbo strikes me as a very Western, indeed a very glico culture.
> > We communicate mainly in English. And, for instance, Lojbab has
> > observed that for some reason there are a disproportionate number
> > of libertarians among its ranks. Cultural neutrality was surely
> > part of the language's ideals, when it was designed, but the outcome
> > will depend on who uses it.
>
> I ba'e like the idea of cultural neutrality gi'e believe that jboklu
> should be separate kulnu rather than synonym for gliklu, regardless
> of its membership.

I didn't mean to oppose cultural neutrality, or to advocate anglocentricity.
Indeed, I do think that jboklu is pleasantly different from gliklu. I
merely observe that it seems to be the case that gliklu is what jboklu
is closest to. If this is true, then I'm sure it is despite the
designers' most scrupulous efforts.

[Indeed, in one respect I think the desire to avoid being malglico
has gone full cirle and ended up very malglico indeed: I am thinking
of the lack of any convenient way to make the logically and
typologically important distinction between singular and plural
(suhore is a bit of a mouthful) - my reading of this is that it
results from a desire to be unEnglish, even though number distinctions
are widespread among languages. Apologies if my guess at the history
of this is wrong.]

----
And