Re: newsgroup <==> mailing list

    The most likely solution will be to set up a newsgroup, ....  We
    would keep the list for those without access to those hierarchies.

Yes, keeping the mailing list is vital.

    The main problem is that it is difficult to automatically route traffic
    both ways.  You can automatically put newsgroup traffic into the
    list, or maybe vice versa, by an automatic process, but if you
    both, you get a feedback loop.

There are techical, automatic solutions to this problem.  The FSF
maintains more than 25 newsgroup/mailing list gateways.  These come
out of Ohio State.  I don't know anything about how this is done,
except that, like any news/mailing list operation, it needs a reliable
administrator.  If a site and patron were found, I could ask the FSF
volunteer to pass on scripts or tips.  (No point in asking for a site
or other help, since the people I know are already overloaded.)

An advantage (also a disadvantage) of a news group, especially an
alt.lojban, is that it is more visible than a private list.  I think a
Lojban news group is a good idea, but there is no need to extablish
one right away.

Meanwhile, I am out in Kansas visiting my sister, using a portable
Unix box that I borrowed.  Communications are a bit klunky, but not
too bad.

    Robert J. Chassell               bob@gnu.ai.mit.edu
    25 Rattlesnake Mountain Road     bob@grackle.stockbridge.ma.us
    Stockbridge, MA 01262-0693 USA   (413) 298-4725