Re: gradu is broken

LL> I went back to the original article by Scott Layson (TL3/1:70), wherein
LL> the current measurement place structures were proposed, and noted that
LL> he made a suggestion which didn't get taken up into Lojban: an x4 place
LL> for "rupnu", reflecting the date as of which the monetary unit is
LL> meaningful.

We have a BAI member for dates.

LL> So there is some kind of confusion that needs straightening out.
LL> Changing "gradu"'s place structure will allow it to be used to make
LL> new units of measurement, but will eliminate the ability to talk >about<
LL> units of measurement.

Remembering my earlier comment - place structures and early proposed lujvo
did NOT consider dikyjvo as a criterion - my quicky reading on this problem
is that all proposed unit words ending in "rau" need to either have a second
form for measurement "raulai", or we need to presume that the former form
is an abrreviation for the latter for dikyjvo purposes.  The place
structure for "klani" does match that of the measurement words, with a scale
place thrown in that is filled by the "-rau" that precedes it.

Thus I favor (subject to inevotable argument) the status quo and a conventional
solution.

lojbab