Re: Lojban in Reading

> A colleague of mine told me that he attended a talk on Lojban
> given in the linguistics department at the University of
> Reading (UK). He couldn't remember who gave the talk, or how
> come. Can anyone tell me who gave the talk, how they came to
> give it, and what sort of response there was? More generally,
> have there been any other such events elsewhere?
> -----
> And

That would have been me.  I didn't report it to the list at the time
because it wasn't very exciting, but since you ask ...

The Report:

    I gave a talk to the Linguistics Group at Reading University on the
afternoon of Wednesday 23rd February.  Superficially it went quite well, and I
received some reasonably intelligent questions.  Ultimately it was slightly
disappointing, in that no-one took up my offer of introductory materials.

    One of the students appears to have acquired some of the materials already
via Linda Shockey, so there's hope yet.  Linda herself pleads lack of time to
pursue the subject at the moment.

    All in all, probably as much as I could expect from my first real attempt to
publicise the language.  Guess I ought to do some more sometime.

The Background:

    Linda Shockey, who is a lecturer at Reading University,
happened to contact someone in LLG about two years ago
concerning some non-Lojban linguistic issue, was intrigued by the
".e'osai ko sarji la lojban." trailer in the response, and made
some enquiries.  John Cowan (I think) put her in touch with me
as a local contact, but nothing much happened until late last year,
when Linda suggested I go and talk to the Linguistics Group.

co'o mi'e .i,n.