Re: beginner exercise

These are of course NOT beginner level exercises, as the last bit with "through"
the window should have shown.  Any English sentence which uses a preposition,
such that the preposition does not correspond to the 'obvious' gismu's place
structure, means that you are going to have to do some fancy stuff in
translation.  'Fancy' of course is in the eye of the beholder.  There are
simple expressions using BAI that probably meet the obvious interpretation
of Frank's sentences, but you risk running afoul of Rick Morneau's metaphor
malglico-ism whenever you use BAI.

This is why 'translation' is inherently NOT a beginner activity.  Veijo in
a lot of essays last year urged people to use Lojban AS IT IS, rather than
trying to translate, which is both limiting and discouraging when you find
that the phrase that seems so simple in English is not simple in Lojban.

(I will note that some of the toughest translations that we've tried have been
stories for young children that use 'simple' English that turns out not to
be so simple.  I also find that my Russian native kids also find most
children's stories no more enlightening than any other English not specifically
tailored for their vocabulary and grammar command).

lojbab