forward from Chris Handley

[remember, Chris; you gotta manually add in lojbanlist in followups :) ]

From: "Chris Handley"  <CHandley@gandalf.otago.ac.nz>
Date:     2 Jul 1992 17:44:39 GMT+1200
Subject:  RE: a new Lojban project - for all of you

Hi
Nick writes:

>I think a Lojbanic Canterbury Tales is a capital idea! I think the people
>on whom I've inflicted round 3 of the Phone Game (a mother of a game, with
>very tricky vocab probs - if any of you is having a really hard time, I can
>change your phrases) would agree :) I'd have no objection to a scifi
>scenario, but would prefer something on this planet, possibly mediaevalist.
>I'm not quite feeling like coordinating, unless noone else volunteers' but
>there really is little to coordinating. Sorry I can't be more helpful or
>inventive with scenarios; anyone feeling creative? It'd be preferable that
>the thread not be a complete mishmash. Once the preliminaries are through,
>though, I don't see why the tales shouldn't just be dumped onto lojbanlist
>as they get churned out, to be integrated up by the coordinator eventually.

Some points to remember about both Canterbury Tales and the Decameron:

		1) They were written by one person (and a genius at that)
  2) They were written fairly well into the flowering of the language.

IMHO neither of these conditions apply to Lojban at the moment, which should
not stop us doing something. Certainly a collection of stories along a
central theme would be a great start to the language.

Another suggestion would be another parlour game. One person starts off and
writes part of a story (a para, a sentence, whatever). This is then passed
to the next person in the list to continue, and so on. (In the normal
version, you stop in mid sentence, but that may be a tad difficult)

Chris

Chris Handley                                     chandley@otago.ac.nz
Dept of Computer Science                       Ph     (+64) 3-479-8499
University of Otago                           Fax     (+64) 3-479-8577
Dunedin, NZ

      "Bet you 3 to 1 that fixing that bug will introduce three more"
---
'Dera me xhama t"e larm"e,	      T  Nick Nicholas, EE & CS, Melbourne Uni
 Dera mbas blerimit		      |         Mail: nsn@munagin.ee.mu.oz.au
 Me xhama t"e larm"e!		      |  Omiloume ellhnika/Esperanto parolata/
 Lumtunia nuk ka ngjyra tjera.'	      |  {mika'e tavla baula lojban.je'uru'e}
 - Martin Camaj, _Nj"e Shp'i e Vetme_ |      (Better .sig suggestions welcome)