3rd place for kumfa

From: gryphon@dino.ulowell.edu (Coranth)
To: lojban-list@snark.thyrsus.com
Subject: bathroom...

>"Assume that there is a third place for "kumfa" (room). A bathroom would be
>"lumci terkumfa" (if I'm using the tanru correctly)

The 3rd place is not at all unsensible. But the tanru is quite wrong. A
bathroom is still a room, and not a "purpose for a room", which is what a
{terkumfa} is. Thus the tanru remains

lumci kumfa

but now it expands readily as

kumfa befi loinu lumci

I believe we must stress expanding tanru as a paedagogical exercise. Consider
that, in lojban, not only do we claim that all concepts (including) le'avla
can be expressed with 1300-odd place structures, 65 BAI, and 30-odd tense
markers (already bold), but also, if one is even remotely dikni in their
lujvo formation, that all compounds' place structures are combinations of
the aforementioned rescources. This to me is a somewhat bold assertion, which
needs testing. The tendency to expand on request is a good test of this sort.

Heard that Elvis Presley's last words were "Honey, I'm going to have a shit",
mistaking his OD for a bowel movement? You didn't? Cultural taboo at work,
my fellow lojbanis %^)

Nick S. Nicholas,			"Rode like foam on the river of pity
Depts. of CompSci & ElecEng,  		 Turned its tide to strength
University of Melbourne, Australia.	 Healed the hole that ripped in living"
nsn@{mullian.ee|mullauna.cs|ecr}.mu.oz.au     -	S. Vega, Book Of Dreams