events vs. states

Folks,
    I have a very serious question but don't have the time to look up all
the references.  I find that almost everybody uses 'nu' for abstracting
a relation (predicate) instead of using one of the other abstractor when
it would seem to be more appropriate.  The two examples that stick in
my mind are the expantion that jimc had for his lujvo for "waking"
and it was something like "do sisti le nu do hhhhh", where hhhhh stands
for the gismu for sleeping, and the second was lojbab commenting-on/
correcting a letter (I think from Coranth?) where the line was about
learning lojban and the event of understanding it.  Why are these
examples using "za'i" since the distinction between state and event
is exactly what is appropriate for both sleeping and understanding.

    I will try to find the time to locate the exact quotes if needed.

    thank you,
    Art

Arthur Protin <protin@pica.army.mil>
These are my personal views and do not reflect those of my boss
or this installation.