Re: categorization and generalization...

I think Art Protin gave some excellent examples of use of loi (mass
reference), as well as some good discussion of how to misuse it.
The idea of a way to distinguish the categories of mass reference
is intriguing.

I have a feeling, though, that JCB would have even more categories
or usage patterns.  One which I am familiar with is the "serving or
portion" category or partitive object:

	ko pinxe loi djacu	drink some water

where presumably "lo djacu" is a set of molecules in extension.
(Really?  Even with the official definition of "x1 is an amount/expanse
of water" it takes some headachy twisting to prevent anything and
everything meeting the definition from popping out of the sumti.)

Another usage might be

	ko         randa fi mi loi fetlu'e		(fetsi klupe)
	Imperative give  to me a   nut (female screw)

in which you don't really care which member you get from the referent
set.

Since explicit mass reference is not familiar to English speakers,
they tend to get confused by it.  A "rogue's gallery" of proper usage
would be helpful.

		-- jimc